If you can't do it all...

"It's better to try and do the best you can, than to not do anything because you wanted to do more."

In the past, I have found that my mindset was sometimes "if I can't do it all, I won't do anything." Usually this was with running; if I didn't have time for an 8 mile run, I wouldn't go for a run at all that day. Or if I didn't have 5 hours to study for a test I would waste the 30 minutes that I did have. Things like that. But, in the past month, I have only been job hunting (no school, no work), and have found myself with A LOT of time during the day. I was feeling incredibly dejected for a little while because I felt like I wasn't helping anyone or doing anything of value. Personally, I need to feel needed in order to feel totally content. I need to feel needed. But during the past month, I have felt totally UN-needed. Like if I fell off the face of the earth, no one would know or care.

But, during this time, I have also realized that while my scope of influence may be small, I can still do much good. I can seek to serve the people around me, rather than trying to "save the entire world". I have prayed often and longed for opportunities to serve, to make a difference in someone else's life. And oh how the Lord has blessed me with opportunities!

I was able to give directions two separate times to people in cars while on my morning runs.
I was able to help a friend figure out financial aid  craziness.
I was able to help a friend find a movie she really wanted to watch.
I have been able to be a friend on multiple occasions to people who really needed one.
And I have been able to do the dishes and clean the kitchen more times than I can count on my fingers and toes. 
 
I have really learned that I can make a difference every day by consciously choosing to make the most of the opportunities I have. Although these things are small, they have taught me that I can make a difference in my little world by seeking for opportunities to serve each day. They may be small, but they still make a difference in someone's life, and for that I am grateful. It's in the little things!

So, if you can't do it ALL, start small. You can at least do something. Even if it's small, it still makes a difference and it's still important.

I know that God is aware of us ALL, at all times. He understands our personal situations and knows us better than we know ourselves. He wants to bless us and help us to grow, and if we turn to Him for help, I know He always will.





Comments

Popular Posts