MARRIAGE: Yep, I'm gonna go there...

As a young woman at BYU, I think it's pretty natural to think about marriage.

I've found myself thinking about it a lot. I've been reading talks about it, scriptures about it, and just pondering the kind of marriage that I want to have someday.

Growing up, the idea of marriage really terrified me. There were certain points in my life where I didn't ever want to get married or have children. I'm not proud of those moments, but I know they were essential in my journey of coming to value and cherish marriage. The more that I have pondered it and studied it, I have come to realize how truly special and important it is. In fact, I'm grateful that I didn't understand marriage because it forced me to get on my knees, to study, to learn, and to gain a person testimony of how special and important it is in this life and in the life to come.

It's about "trust (which includes honesty), communication (which includes prayer), sacrifice (which includes selflessness), and love." I read that "recipe for marriage" on a blog this morning and I loved it. I like to keep a running list in the back of my journal of my thoughts and ideas about marriage and how I'll make sure to contribute so that my marriage can remain happy and healthy and full of joy. It's quite the list, but I know I have much more to learn.

Marriage isn't about finding the perfect person, but about loving and committing yourself to the imperfect person you've found. Marriage is about two people coming together on the journey back to our Heavenly Father's presence, becoming one in desires and decisions, but all the while respecting the other person's individuality and needs. To me, I look forward to having someone to share the ups, the downs, and all the in-betweens. I look forward to having a companion to help me become the best I can, while helping them reach their potential, too. It's sacrifice and hard work and selflessness, but it's all part of the journey back Home. It's about growing closer to God, together.

I think the most worthwhile thing anyone can do is simply love another with all their heart and soul. To me, that is marriage: choosing to love when it's hard, when you'd rather scream, when you'd rather curl up alone. Just like you have to choose to be happy sometimes, you have to choose to love sometimes, with all your heart and soul. To me, that is the most beautiful and special thing anyone can do in this life. It's so simple, yet so special and profound and important to me.
I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts. I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but in one respect I’ve succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul and for me that has always been enough.

— The Notebook

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts