Love is.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

I think about this scripture a lot. I think a lot about what it means to truly love someone, or many someones. I've been thinking about when to give up on love, or when to keep persevering in it. Whenever I read or hear this scripture I think of the moment in A Walk to Remember, when Jamie reads this to Landon. Hospitalized, sick, and dying, emotions were high and vivid. And when I think of that scene, fictional in story, but reality for so many, I am filled with a greater desire to love more deeply and compassionately, and to never give up on that quest. This verse always softens my heart and reminds me to love fully and without reservation. That's a really hard thing sometimes, but it's something I sincerely want to be better at: to love unconditionally and wholeheartedly despite perceived flaws.

Today, a beautiful soul was taken too early from the Provo community. She was taken so unexpectedly from her family, her friends, from those who loved her desperately. When I heard the news, my heart couldn't help but ache for those to whom she meant the world. My heart still aches. She could have been anyone of us: you, me, your best friend, your daughter, sister. . . Yet God chose to take her now. It's a heart-breaking reminder to hold the ones we love close, and to cherish our moments with them on this earth. Don't let fear hold you back. Hold them tight and tell them you care. Life is too short to regret not loving enough.

Comments

Popular Posts