Defending the Church: Part 1

"Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof."

Something about me: ignorance gets me a little fired up. I try to be patient and understanding because I realize there is so much in this world I do now know or understand. . . but every once in a while I read something online that I can't stop myself from responding to. I hope I am always kind and calm, but also truthful in the ways I respond to others.

Well, I was recently reading on the "19 Kids and Counting" Family blog (I really enjoy reading blogs!). The Duggar Family is a deeply religious Christian family, and their children are also home-schooled. Their home-school curriculum is Christian-based. On this specific blog post, the mother wrote a little about their home-schooling traditions in lieu of public-school celebrations, like prom for example. After I read the mother's words, I continued to the comments. (I am a big-time comment reader. I wouldn't recommend this unless you put your guard up beforehand, because sometimes the commenters can express wildly different opinions than your own. It's a good dose of reality though, and exposure to others, but don't read without a bit of caution.)

One college-aged girl commented on this post. Her name has been withheld to protect her identity. She said:

"what is the kids' reaction when they learn about evolution? Is that 
required in the state of Arkansas? Does it interfere with your 
Christian faith? I was baptized and recognized for my writing skills in
my confirmation. However, now that I am in college, I no longer 
classify myself as Christian because I do not accept the Bible as fact 
and truth. It is natural to be gay. We evolved from apes whether we 
like it or not. Just wondering how people continue on with the 
scriptures when they are educated and know that not all writings from 
the Bible are true."

This really broke my heart. How sad that some colleges are educating their students to believe contrary to the word of God. How blessed I feel to attend a school that combines secular and religious education, because it has strengthened and enlightened me in profound ways. As a college-aged girl, too, I felt a responsibility to respond with my own experiences.

I said:

"I am also a college student in a science-heavy major, and I believe that everything I learn testifies of God as our Creator. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Genetics, Anatomy, Microbiology, Molecular Biology. . . all of these courses that I have taken have brought me closer to my Creator and Father in Heaven. As a Christian, I do believe in evolution, but I believe that God was overseeing it the entire time, just as He oversees my life every single day. Sometimes God works miracles that seem impossible, but other times He works miracles that follow the natural laws of this world, Natural Laws that He put into place when the World was created. God has stated, in Isaiah 55:9, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." God is all-knowing, and we are not. Our understanding is finite, while His is infinite. I trust in God, far more than I trust in scientists. A quote I love, "Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof." 
I also add that I believe the Bible to be the word of God, as far as it has been translated correctly."

I hope my message touches her heart, even if only for a moment. In my search for missionary experiences, I have discovered that there are COUNTLESS opportunities online. If we are willing to open our mouths and bare testimony, I believe we can make a difference, even if we only reach one person at a time in a very small way. But that is the Lord's way, teaching the gospel one by one.

On a related note, as I have spent time online, I have become painfully aware how many incorrect rumors circulate about the Church. But here's the good news: we can do something about it! In response to this terrible realization, I'd like to do a little series about my efforts to share the gospel with others online. I encourage you, too! Every word shared makes some impact; the size isn't so important.

Like the man walking alone on the beach, throwing single starfish back into the ocean, we can all make a difference for the ONE.

Coming up next: clearing up misconceptions about the early church on facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts