I've Been Thinkin'

You may not know, but my brain is quite the busy bee. In other words, I like to think. A lot. About everything. My brain is always thinking something up, or pondering something from 3 days ago...Or, if it's not doing that, then it makes me sing. It just likes to be busy.

[insert picture of The Thinker by Auguste Rodin, minus the nudity]

But anyways, for the past week or so I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be truly united, and all that it entails. I went to the "Education in Zion" Exhibit in the JFSB a few weeks ago (has it really been that long??), and it really reminded me how important it is to be fully united as a people, in one heart and one mind.

So, as I said, I've really been thinking. Not only do we need to uplift and help those who we love, but more importantly those who we do not get along with, or those that we do not love so easily. I've learned a lot about that in the past, but even more so this year. One thing that I really don't enjoy is contention and tension in any relationship, so when I don't get along with someone, it really tears me apart. I don't act like myself and I do things I wouldn't normally do. I'm trying to be better, but I'm so impatient with myself. However, I have learned that I can learn love anyone, and that through prayer Heavenly Father can help me. By doing this, I have gained an even greater appreciation for what it means to be truly united, even with those people that once drove you nuts. I've never had to deal with people so much as I have since coming to school (I know that sounds bad, but I don't mean it that way:), and I am learning so much about myself, about other people, individual differences, and how important it is that everyone is different. Everyone has different perspectives, and those differences are vital! The world would be such a boring place if we all were identical clones. Diversity and individuality is beautiful!

Anyways, I took a quiz on my love languages a few weeks ago, and the results came back without surprise. To show and receive love, I rely most fully on Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, and Quality Time. It's interesting to me that everyone shows and receives love in different ways. For example, I may do something for someone (an act of service) to show my love and appreciation, but that person may not receive it as an expression of love. Isn't that fascinating? It has made me more aware of how I can help others--I truly want them to know that I care about them, and by knowing how they best receive those expressions, my actions can change and our relationships can be strengthened. Of course it goes both ways, you can't have a one-way relationship, but if I first do my part, then I truly believe that God will make up the difference and soften their heart. But as I said, this goes both ways, since I know I'm not always the nicest person. Sometimes when we ourselves want to change, it can be so hard. I feel like that's the story of my life...wanting and trying so hard to be better but then slipping up. I'm so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ in my life...Without it, I could not live. I would cease to exist, because it brings so much peach, hope, and joy into my life.

Comments

Popular Posts