What the World Needs Now...

Is LOVE, sweet LOVE! (Perfect for Valentines day!) ;)

This is going to be another super boring post by Emily Birch. They're my specialty!

 So, about more love. Mushy, gushy, cheesy, and cliche. But, I like it that way.

I want to make a point that I feel like there is something missing from society. Well, many things, but the most important being compassion. I'm speaking for myself, as well--I definitely need more compassion in my life.

Anyways, I'll start with a story, then maybe it'll make more sense.

Today in my Folk Dance Class, we had a discussion on Body Image and Eating Disorders. It's a touchy subject, something that a lot of people shy away from. But I feel like those topics are the ones that need to be talked about the most, you know? As we talked about the subject, I started thinking about compassion, about unadulterated, unbiased love for others. You know, the kind that persists despite differences, the kind that persists even when someone hurts you, the kind that persists when one person's life flips upside down. It's something that Christ embodies, and something that I can only hope to one day obtain. So many people live with negative self-image, with eating disorders, with mental and physical disabilities, with same-sex attraction, the list goes on and on, and every one of these circumstances is so different. So many people live with these circumstances everyday, but I feel like they are generally misunderstood, and that people cast judgment. I'm not saying that I do understand them completely, because I don't, and I'm not saying that I don't judge people sometimes, because I don't. But I know that I need to express a more complete love towards those that I do not understand completely. Everyone is different, and I would bet that everyone is experiencing something difficult in their lives at all times. I hope that I can better show my love towards others. I hope that I can stop being judgmental in every way, and that I can seek to understand those who are in need of help. College is teaching me so much, and I think the #1 lesson I am learning is to love without inhibition.

A good friend of mine is going through something difficult, something that many people could not understand, because it is so misunderstood. I'm not going to say who or what, but seeing them go through this has really made an impact in my life that sometimes the people who are the most misunderstood need the most compassion. Sometimes we make judgments about touchy subjects--for example, people with eating disorders need to just get over themselves, that people with mental disorders are crazy--but these preconceptions are wrong. These people are beautiful, wonderful, amazing, and they need to be seen as what they truly are: one-of-a-kind children of our Heavenly Father. I hope that I can be less judgmental and more filled with absolute love. I hope that I can have a heart filled only with compassion for all.

I hope we can all develop a greater love for  humanity, and that we can put our differences and preconceptions aside and fully love our fellow brothers and sisters. I'm not perfect at it, I'm FAR from it, but I want to be better. Life is too short to not love everyone, and to not express that love. I'm awful at expressing my feelings in person, but our personal challenges are what makes life so beautiful! We all have unique, individual circumstances, but we are all on the same path of life. I hope we can all grow to be more united as we grow and develop each and every day. Valentines Day isn't just about love between couples, but about love for all! I just love it :)


Sorry that was so long, I guess it's my way of expressing the things that are heavy on my mind when I'm really stressed and need to vent! Thanks for being so patient! :)




Comments

  1. Emily you are an angel. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I needed to hear them :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts