Goodbye, Wheaty Goodness!

It all started in 2010 when I began falling asleep at all hours of the day without rhyme or reason. 7 a.m. would roll around, and my eyes would roll shut. The clock stuck 1 {p.m.} and I'd be out again. No matter what I did, I could not keep my eyes open for the life of me. I was fatigued and tired and I just wanted to sleeep ! Was that so much to ask?

My sister suggested I could have a gluten intolerance, but I brushed the thought away. I have been eating wheat and breads for my entire life, there is no way I am allergic to gluten. Sorry, sista!!

When I went away to college in dry ol' Utah, I developed some serious eczema. I've had it for most of my life, but nothing this severe. I just thought I needed to drink more water, use more lotion, maybe get some more sleep! I resisted going to the doctor because I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a tube of ointment, and I thought I could get it to go away on my own. Meanwhile, it was getting even more severe. On my face. On my neck. On my chest, back, legs, arms...it was not a pretty picture. Not one bit at all!

Spring term rolled around, and I stopped eating bread. I'm not entirely sure why, I just did. I wanted to eat whole foods mostly, and since I had made my own bread for the past year, I just didn't buy any. Looking back, I wasn't really eating much with gluten in it, and I felt pretty darn good! {However, gluten is hidden in LOTS and LOTS of random stuff, so I was definitely not completely gluten free!} I ran a marathon in June, and the week before I decided I should carbo-load. The day before, I ate more pasta than I think I have ever eaten, and that's sayin' something since I ran cross country in high school and the amount of spaghetti eaten at our pre-race team dinners is horrifying, as a I look back...it was some serious business, our spaghetti eatin'! Anyways! The day of the marathon came, and let's just say it was realllyyy rough. I had the most awful intestine problems..I had to stop every mile for fear my body would explode. It was not a pretty picture...not a pretty picture at all.

The thought that my problems during the marathon could be caused by gluten didn't even enter my mind until I came home from school for the summer. My eczema was still pretty bad, even though I thought the San Diego humidity would help. Nope. My sister suggested once again that gluten could be my problem. I tried it, but didn't keep up on it well enough and ended up giving up after a few days. That, however, is when the monster attacked....dun dun dun.

So, it wasn't really a monster {sorry to disappoint!}, but something was going on inside my belly and I was freaked out. Freaked out I tell ya! My stomach swelled...and swelled...and swelled. I looked 5 months pregnant, and I am not exaggerating in the slightest. My stomach was large and in charge....and once again, it was NOT a pretty picture...not at all.....

That, my friends, is when the serious gluten-free diet began. Not a bite would be eaten. I was serious, and have been ever since. I still slip up, because it really is found in soooo mannnyyy things! However, since making this change, I have noticed some really great things. My eczema is pretty much gone; the only things left are white splotches, a reminder of what used to be there. My skin is all around healthier, and the swollen stomach has returned to normal {hallelujah!!} The real test will be when I return to Utah...and go completely gluten free.

Until then.... Wish me luck! ;)

Comments

  1. Ugh, Em, that's rough! But, I'm glad that your eczema is better and that you're feeling better all around. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts