I am.

I like this photo of me. I often see photos of myself that I really don't like, because they don't look like the person I see in the mirror. Some photos of me look like some foreign heifer, for lack of better terms. I think this photo does portray me, though. This looks, to me, like the Emily I know. It shows my goofy side, but also my terribly insecure side. It shows some of my my perceived imperfections, but also the things about myself that I find beautiful. Taken alone in a foreign airport, it reminds me of my great desire to experience the beauty and mystery that coats the earth, while simultaneously reminding me of my fears and insecurities that sometime hold me back from chasing after and fulfilling those deep desires. It also reminds me, for reasons I am unsure of, that sometimes the best things are unplanned and spontaneous. To me it shows my yellow-blue personality battle, a battle that rages in my head daily: do I unabashedly be my overly-goofy, outspoken self, or strive for a more well-behaved, coy approach to life? It's a question I ask myself daily, a personality battle that I am learning to simply accept and embrace rather than choose the "better" side. Often times life is about what we perceive, sometimes even more so than reality.

Maybe you think I look too deeply into a simple photograph, and perhaps that's true. But alas, looking too deeply into things is one of my talents. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts