Intentional Living

“Sometimes a change of perspective is all it takes to see the light.” - Dan Brown

For the past few weeks, I have been so incredibly happy. Like, on-the-verge-of-tears happy at times. There were small moments in the day when something someone said or did would just put me over the edge and almost cause my happiness to spill over in the form of tears and girlish giggles. It was slightly absurd at times, I almost felt as if menopause was upon me at the ripe age of 21.

Seriously, imagine:

Person #1: *insert slightly funny joke*
Me: *ridiculous giggling and eyes welling with tears*
___

Person #2: Oh, you look beautiful today!
Me: *eyes welling, heart stuck in throat, unable to respond in anything but a squeak*


Nothing in my life has drastically changed in the past few weeks. I'm still working too many hours, and taking care of my cherished little lab mice. I'm sleeping exactly the same (probably less, actually) and I exercise just as much. But the biggest things that have changed are my attitude and outlook.

I decided to live more purposefully, and intentionally. I decided to do all things with a specific purpose in mind, rather than just to get them done. To go to work in order to gain more compassion and show more love to those who struggle. While there, to serve with greater patience in order to show that love. To make my roommate a sandwich to show her I love her. To read my scriptures intently to show my Heavenly Father I love Him, and that I want to be more like His son. To search the scriptures with a greater purpose, that being to learn and grow in the Spirit everyday! To record what I eat throughout the day with the sole purpose of being more aware of how I fuel my body. To choose total integrity and honesty when it was hard. To just choose my actions and words with greater intent, and be always anxiously engaged in a good cause.

I hadn't been myself for the past few months, maybe even the past year; I'm not exactly sure when things changed, but I felt like something was missing, like an integral part of my make-up had disappeared gradually. Things just felt off. But as I have become intentional in my actions--especially those things that sometimes feel really hard to do--my life has been filled with greater purpose, and thereby, with greater meaning. Instead of grudgingly going into work, I've done it with a willing heart. Instead of reading my scriptures and praying just to do it, I've made it my solace.

One of my greatest desires in life is to live intentionally rather than just watch life pass me by. I think it can be so easy to fall into the rhythm and monotony of life without thinking about what we're doing and why we're doing it. But I've found in my life, that intentional living can make the BIGGEST IMPACT on every area of life. Find a higher purpose in what you do, and I promise, your life and joy will gain much greater depth than ever before.

***********************************************************************************


"If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, it’s that it only takes one person, one patient, one moment to change your life forever, to change your perspective, color your thinking. To force you to re-evaluate. . . To make you ask yourself the toughest questions: Do you know who you are? Do you know what’s happened to you? Do you want to live this way?"
-Grey's Anatomy

Comments

Popular Posts