Optimism.

“In my ninety-plus years, I have learned a secret. I have learned that when good men and good women face challenges with optimism, things will always work out! Truly, things always work out! Despite how difficult circumstances may look at the moment, those who have faith and move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” - Gordon B. Hinckley 

I have this roommate that I adore, her name is Itzella. I love her for a lot of reasons, but one of biggest being that she is relentlessly optimistic. She chooses to see the good and beauty in life, in all situations, and especially in people. She is an artist through and through, and can take even the ugliest situation and create a breath-taking work of art. I mean this both literally and figuratively; I once saw her re-create a mediocre photo into a stunning penciled portrait. The lens with which she views the world is both refreshing and inspiring. She quietly goes about her work and life with passion and purpose, without drawing an audience. Although she is quiet, she inspires many, myself included.

I've had a series of events happen recently that have caused me to question the optimistic lens through which I have viewed the world my entire life. I've often described myself as an optimistic idealist in a world of pessimistic realists, which, as you can image, can be confusing (and frustrating) at times. There is much sadness in the world, much corruption and inequality. But I also believe there is much good if we choose to both create it and recognize it. There are beautiful, marvelous, everyday miracles all around us if we choose to see (and create) them. God's hand is always there, everyday of forever, if we choose to acknowledge Him. And the more we acknowledge these incredible sources of good, the more we are able to see them in this world we occupy. Sometimes it takes effort, but I promise, the more you focus on the good, the more you will see in everyday life. What you choose to focus on . . .
e x p a n d s.

To me, optimism is my way of trusting in God; saying thanks for my current state, and that I trust in His future. It's my way of giving heartfelt gratitude to Him. It's my way of staying focused on the eternal, and reminding myself that even the most heart-wrenching experiences in this life will be made right in the next, for both myself and others. It's not always easy, but it's a choice I cherish. 

Thank you, Itzella, for inspiring me to always remain optimistic, even in the bleakest of situations.

Comments

Popular Posts