Personality Tests

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." -John 13:34-35

I recently took a personality test (you can find it HERE :). Since my early high school years (it's been a whopping 7 years, my friends, since I began high school) I've been really interested in personality tests. I've taken quite the line up, and all have helped me in my soul-searching endeavors.

For as long as I can remember, I have always felt a degree of internal turmoil; to some extent, I've struggled with forming a clear identity and sense of self due to this turmoil (INJFs will know what I mean;). In our "growing up years" I think we all struggle in this way, honestly. But these tests have helped me to see myself more clearly, to dissipate some of the mental fog that creates my internal turmoil. I've definitely come a LONG way on this sometimes difficult and confusing road of trying to understand myself, to a point where that turmoil is much less turbulent now than during other times in my life; it's more of a trickle now, rather than a roaring wave.

I think I also love the tests because they allow me to learn more about other people, and their underlying motives for why they do what they do. It is so incredibly fascinating to me. I'm a firm believer that the more time you spend trying to understand someone, the more you come to love and admire them. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I want to believe that people are good at their core, with pure intentions and desires. Sometimes there is heartache and struggle blocking that core goodness, but with time and patience and love, it can become apparent.

I think we ALL could do a little better at trying to understand people before we make rash judgements about them and their decisions in life. Maybe I feel so strongly about this because I've felt like a misunderstood soul most of my life, and don't like being judged prematurely. Maybe it's because I've loved many people who are misunderstood souls, too. Maybe it's because I've made rash judgements about others without first considering their deepest motives and desires, and the struggles that sometimes lead them to make poor decisions. Whatever the reason, learning to be slower to judge is a journey that is incredibly close to my heart. It's a journey that I've definitely made progress in, but still have miles ahead. I hope and pray I don't rashly judge another without first understanding their heartache, heart-felt desires, and driving motives. This world is tough enough, I hope we all (including myself) can be more gentle and patient with those around us, both those we love and those we have yet to understand.

Comments

Popular Posts