be kind to your 4-legged friends, for a pup may be somebody's brother.

**pictures to come. . . once i find them (eventually). . .

If we're friends, by now you probably know of my undying, passionate love for all creatures. And, at the top of that list, are puppies and dogs. Yep, I'm going to write a blog post on my obsession with puppies. . . !

It all started many years ago, when I was probably 6 or 7. My dad had a dog named Buddy, and he was my best friend. I have no idea where he came from, but I remember that he was a blonde lab/shepherd mix with a white stripe down his head and back, long and lean and so handsome. We shared my ice cream cones--one lick for me, one lick for him (judge me all you want ;)--and he cleaned all my plates after every meal, and I taught him how to go into his doggy igloo. Initially he was so hesitant, but after much luring, I was the only one that could coax him in (along with a few treats ;). Over time, he made his own "bed" in the center of a huge bush, and would lay in it, energetically gnawing on his rawhide bones. He would gnaw on those things all day, slobbering enough for 3 or 4 dogs. We would explore my dad's backyard together, which to a 7 year old seemed mighty big, with him always by my side. I haven't met many people in this world who are as genuinely loving or loyal as he was. He was my snuggle buddy, my adventure partner, my tug-o-war champion, my snack-sharer. . .he really was my best friend. To a non-dog lover that probably sounds totally ridiculous, but to them I say, sucks for you! ;) If I remember correctly, he could even jump the brick wall from the backyard into the side yard. One day, he got out of the side yard after jumping that wall, and for some reason the gate had been left open while we were on vacation in Idaho (blog post to come). He got out, and that was the last I remember seeing of him. I remember dreaming and wishing he would come back. For years after his disappearance I imagined him running the streets, looking for his family. Like the prodigal son, I yearned for his return one day. My mom's neighbors had a dog that looked exactly like him, and I always had a sneaking suspicion that they had stolen him. . . it was a girl dog though, so obviously I was wrong. I missed him so much though. I don't know about you, but I sure hope I get to see him again one day in heaven. It will be a beautiful reunion, one I truly look forward to. This is where my love of dogs began, and it hasn't stopped since.

Some time after his disappearance, a new puppy entered the picture. My dad drove up to my mom's house one afternoon to show me a surprise. He opened the back door to his old green Ford Explorer, and I peered in to see his surprise. Nestled into a soft blanket was a teeny, tiny barely 8-weeks-old rust colored dachshund puppy, with big, black, innocent but uncertain eyes. That image of little him in that little blanket with a look of pure adoration and innocence on his face will be forever engrained into my mind, a flashbulb memory I can never forget. It was love at first sight.
Me (8ish) with little Wyatt (1ish) at my father's home, oh how i loved him!
His name was Wyatt, and he weaseled his way into my heart in less than a heartbeat, although the love was not entirely mutual. He loved my oldest brother most of all, two peas in a pod. But I still loved him. From a young age, he got used to eating human food, and because of that he refused to eat his dog food. He was practically skin and bones, and his wiener-dog length made him look even skinnier. He ate everything besides his own food, though, from candy to fruit to eggs. I guess he didn't really like his veggies though (can't say I blame him ;). 
My favorite memories of him were when he would sleep in between my legs, curled up in the ball. I remember waking up many nights afraid I had squished him, but he was always happy as a bug, still sound asleep. Another favorite memory is when he would sing. Like I mentioned earlier, him and my brother were besties. Whenever my brother left the house, Wyatt would sing at the top of his lungs, crying for his best friend to return. He would wait anxiously by the window until he came home. Additionally, if you started to sing or played music, he'd sing along then as well. It was so precious, so cute, so unique.
On car rides, he loved to sit with the driver, and he'd stick 80% of his body out the window. One time my bother caught him by the tail after he lunged for something out the window. He was fearless, careless, and a little dumb. But I loved him so.
He was absolutely CRAZY, so full of spunk and spirit and love that nobody could hold him back. He would bark like nobody's business, and he definitely had an agenda of his own. He explored wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted.  He was a total ladies man, always trying to escape to go womanize the lady neighbor doggies down the street. This was the demise of him, though. One day, he got out, and he never came back. He was found on the side of the road, and it broke everyone's heart. I cried for days, and even missed school because I was so heartbroken. It was like my best friend, my baby brother, was suddenly ripped from my hands after only 2 short years. I can't wait to see him again!
With Wyatt is where my love of puppies began, and it hasn't stopped since.

I love pups so much that while most little girls were planning their wedding and naming their future babies, I was naming and dreaming up my future pups. I had such original names picked out. . . but unfortunately the only I can remember is Tinkerbell (she was a Dalmatian ;).

Since then, there's been Bob-dog and Wishbone, Brindi and Jada, Bear and Molly, and Sunny, who I love just as dearly. I could write a novel on those little friends, but I'll stop here! ;)

So, now you understand why I love my four-legged furry creatures so much. They hold a special spot in my heart, my childhood, even my identity (call me crazy, i don't care). I've almost had as many best dog friends as I've had human friends. They're so special to me, and I CANNOT WAIT for the day I get to finally have my own. It'll be a beautiful, happy, happy, HAPPY day of tears and joy. :')



Comments

Popular Posts