Celebrating Covenants: Hello, Texas!

“If your heart is not singing the song of redeeming love, return to your covenants. Celebrate them. Covenants help make a difference in the lives of others. They make the choice of righteousness easier. I humbly pray that our covenants might become a greater source of celebration and strength in our lives.” Bonnie D. Parkin

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have today to share with you my feelings on covenants. To me, everything in the gospel revolves around covenants. They are an incredible source of strength, peace, and power in our everyday lives. I am so grateful for everything that Sister Johnson said before me; her thoughts on the sacrament were beautiful and touching. Today I will be talking about 1) what covenants are, 2) how we can keep them, and 3) the incredible blessings we are promised as we do so.
I want to first ask you, why does God have us make covenants and ordinances?
My first thought was because they are saving covenants & ordinances: baptism, the temple endowment and the marriage sealing. The keys of the priesthood allow us to make these eternal covenants; covenants have “enduring force and validity because of the sealing power” (p. 85, The Holy Temple). The sealing power is more than the ability to bind the marriage between a man and woman in God’s temple; it also allows all ordinances and covenants to endure beyond the grave, to become eternal (p. 98, The Holy Temple). Additionally, covenants help us to put off the natural man, a godly task that requires continual attention. Lastly, God has given us covenants because He loves us deeply and wants to bless us in greater abundance when we obey than He could otherwise. I will talk more about this later.

When studying Covenants, it is important to remember what is taught in Isaiah 55:8-9:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Remembering this will allow us to learn and grow in so much greater abundance. If you don’t understand something—like a covenant or the importance of them—don’t just give up. Study, ponder, ask God and He WILL give you answers in His timing according to what is best for you (James 1:5).
So, what is a covenant?
A Covenant (noun) is a mutual agreement between two or more persons to do or refrain from doing certain acts (or promising to do others); as a verb, it means to enter into a covenant or formal agreement, to agree formally or solemnly, applied especially to an engagement entered into with our Heavenly Father.
What is an ordinance?

An ordinance is an outward, symbolic expression of an internal covenant that we are making. For example, the ordinance of baptism is symbolic of spiritual rebirth and cleansing from sin. When we are baptized, we are spiritually reborn as sons and daughters of Christ: But what does this mean? it means we covenant to always remember Him, to take His name upon us, and to strive to live as He would all the days of our lives, to mourn with those who mourn, and to comfort those who stand in need of comfort (Mosiah 18). We covenant to sacrifice, to give all we have and are to God's purposes. to pray, to live the gospel, to obey His will. And possibly above all, we promise to obey the greatest of all God's commandments: to love God and Man with all our hearts and souls. To me, my temple covenants are just a deeper understanding of this original, central covenant made at baptism. 

In turn, we are promised to always have his spirit to be with us, or as it says in Mosiah 18:10—he will pour out his spirit (his guidance, his love, his strength, his knowledge) more abundantly in our lives. Those who live with this continual blessing know how incredible it is: the power, strength, love, guidance, and reassurance from above can be a steadfast anchor and powerful, guiding force in our everyday lives. 

How do we live them?

Elder Enzio F. Busche once told a story about couple who was terrified of being baptized, but when told that LOVE is the promise we are making, their fears subsided. He said to them: “I can see that you have learned to love the Lord and understand the basic principles of the covenant which you are about to make with him. Now the Lord wants you to take the Spirit, which will be given to you as his gift after baptism, and make it the greatest objective of your life—to let this Spirit be unfolded within you to its fullness of power. Thus, the Lord wants you both to love one another with an even deeper, more sensitive, caring love—a love of a new dimension that is different from the way the world knows—even to such a dimension that you will be overwhelmed by your insight, your patience, your caring, and sensitivity so that you will both be filled with a new dimension of joy and peace.” This simple promise filled them with excitement and eagerness to fulfill this covenant.

Elder Busche has also said, You want to be good and to do good. That is commendable. But the greatest achievement that can be reached in our lives is to be under the complete influence of the Holy Ghost. Then he will teach us what is really good and necessary to do.” Of course, we know that God wants us to love, and lift, and edify, and teach, but just as the covenants we make are universal in that we ALL make the same ones, how we keep them, to me, is deeply personal. It all depends on our personal lives, what we are capable of, our understanding of them, etc. To me, keeping a covenant is a day-to-day, minute-by-minute decision. They are kept in the small details of our lives; covenants are very deep, personal, complex things, and how we choose to live them is also. As we get older and understand these covenants more personally, our devotion too will deepen. As our devotion deepens, our actions to keep them may be different, and become more involved.

TO ME, sacrifice is one way to keep covenants, and the one I want to focus on. I first learned this principle from my father, by his daily actions and how he chooses to treat others. My father spends many nights out serving people, not according to an official calling but according to God’s timing and plan in a different way. He serves "the least of these" with greater love and eagerness than any other man I have met. He has rescued countless individuals from drugs, gangs, violence, addiction, and other powerful forces. He has brought them into the gospel, and taught them the beauty of Christ's atonement. He is the epitome of selfless service. I encourage you to have the faith to do God’s will, whatever that may be in your life, even when it feels initially like a sacrifice, or burden, or not ideal, or nearly impossible. I know from experience that when we obey the will of the Lord for our lives, we will experience the greatest happiness possible. 

SACRIFICE
The Atonement is the great and eternal sacrifice at the center and core of the gospel. The ordinance of the sacrament is reminder of the Savior’s Atoning Sacrifice, and enables us to renew our covenants weekly. When we partake of the sacrament each week, we sacrifice a broken heart and contrite spirit (3 nephew 9:19-20), meaning we are humble and receptive to the will of God and have deep sorrow for sin, along with a great desire to repent. As it states in D&C 97:8:
Verily I say unto you, all among them who know their hearts are honest, and are broken, and their spirits contrite, and are willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice—yea, every sacrifice which I, the Lord, shall command—they are accepted of me. 
We observe covenants by sacrifice—every sacrifice the Lord shall command in our lives.
“Only by aligning our will with God’s is full happiness to be found. Anything less results in a lesser portion. The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s alter. The many other things we ‘give’, brother and sisters, are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us. However, when you and I finally submit ourselves, by letting our individual wills be swallowed up in God’s will, then we are really giving something to Him. It is the only possession which is truly ours to give.” - Neal A Maxwell, Swallowed Up in the Will of the Father, 1995

I think of a story found in the Holy Temple by Elder Packer. A couple was asked to immediately come to Salt Lake to be interviewed. When they arrived, they were asked if they would serve as mission presidents for three years outside the country. Upon hearing this, they looked at each other, and then back to Elder Packer. Without hesitation, in humble agreement, they replied that they would. With only 11 days to settle their business and personal affairs, they responded to this call (p. 165). 

Keeping our covenants takes COURAGE and FAITH. As Elder Packer states, "What does a person do when he/she is asked to set aside every personal interest and go away for three years on call of the servants of the Lord? That depends on how he regards his covenants. … We are here to be tested. … Are there men and women and children in the world who will turn aside all they hold dear to respond to a call from the Lord? Is there such dedication in the world?… We covenant with the Lord to devote all our time, talents, and means to His kingdom.” In other words the LORD ASKS US TO SACRIFICE because this is how our wills become more aligned with His. Isn’t that the basis of all our covenants: to always remember Him, to keep His commandments, and to follow Him wholeheartedly, no matter how difficult the call or timing may initially seem? 
How I Learned this for myself

Nearly three years ago to the date, I knelt down and promised God I would do His will ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE. I yearned to serve a mission, submitted my papers, and received a call to serve in the Texas McAllen Mission. However, upon receiving this call, I knew without a doubt He needed me to stay in Provo, and decline the call at that time. After much trial, God asked me to NOT serve a mission when it was all the wanted. So I stayed. I decided to have the faith to NOT serve. Meanwhile, I learned SO MUCH. I grew beyond belief. I made incredible friendships, and achieved new goals I would have never imaged for myself, but were beyond amazing. And then, in the midst of all this and the beautiful life God had helped me to create, He suddenly asked me to leave to go serve Him as a full-time missionary. Some may not understand this, but I will never forget the feelings I had when I knew this. Obeying God's timing is part of obeying His will.

I fought the feelings for a while, but eventually humbled myself, started my papers yet again, and never looked back. I was again called to the Texas McAllen Mission, only three years later.

During this time, I related to several individuals in Biblical History. I gained so much love and respect for them, and the sacrifices God asked them to make. I felt like Peter, who started to sink when he focused on the troubled waters (fears) rather than solely on Christ. Only when I focused on Christ and His power did my fears subside and could peace reign in my life.

I also think of the story of the rich young man in Mark 10:17-30, who was asked by Christ to sell EVERYTHING he valued in order to serve God. I can't help but think that Christ was asking Him to abandon not just his physical possessions, but also his career, his personal goals, etc... Would our faith waiver as his did if Christ asked the same of us? I know mine did initially, but I am so grateful for a God who pushes us to do what is best and right time and time again. He does this because He loves us deeply, beyond our understanding.

I also think of Christ and His apostles. In Matthew 4:18-22, Christ asked them to abandon their nets—and I assure you that this was not a simple thing. The nets represent their livelihood, their investments, their commitments. BUT THEY DID IT. They left it all to earnestly follow Christ.

In 1 Nephi, Lehi was asked by God to blindly leave Jerusalem and all his worldly possessions. This was a great sacrifice for his family. But I feel like I can understand, if only a little, how they felt. I am so grateful that God has asked me to leave now, when it feels very much like a sacrifice, so that I can learn what it feels like to temporarily give up nearly all I value in total devotion to Him and the covenants I have made. To me, sacrifice is how God tests our willingness to truly keep our covenants and FOLLOW HIM WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

I invite you all to ask God what you can do to further your covenants with Him. It is a uniquely personal thing, and it is also important to remember that there is a time and a season for all things. Not everyone is asked to serve a mission, and not everyone is asked to give up EVERYTHING like our pioneer ancestors. But I am certain there is more we can do to keep our covenants with Him. I don’t say this to overwhelm the already stressed—I say it because I know that when we do the will of the Lord for our lives, He will bless us abundantly. We will receive an added measure of strength, peace, and capacity. I invite you to ask God, in great faith, what He would have you to do. At this point in your life, it may be as simple as changing how you interact with your coworkers or treat your children, or it may be as drastic as leaving to serve a mission. I definitely did not expect a mission to be my answer, but I know that as we promise to dedicate all the days of our lives to Him, WE WILL BE BLESSED ABUNDANTLY. Of this I am absolutely certain.

The Promised Blessings of Covenant-Keeping People

God promises us blessings when we obey them and He will NEVER falter in keeping His promises. As it says in D&C 82:10,I the lord am bound when you do what I say, when you do not what I say ye have no promise". We are guaranteed these blessings as we make and keep sacred covenants; God will always keep His side of the agreement, it is only we who can waiver.

It says in 1 Nephi 14:14:
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.
We live in a very confusing world—just look at the very difficult political questions we must decide from today—but being true to our covenants we have made can bring us both POWER and PEACE even amidst incredibly difficult and confusing circumstances. Bonnie D. Parkin continued in her 1995 talk Celebrating Covenants, “Covenants anchor us to solid ground, which, amidst the storms, makes our promises not only meaningful for eternity but vital for today. Have your covenants moved you to sing the song of redeeming love?” She continued, "What are the rewards of covenant keeping? Gentle-hearted King Benjamin said: because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ….and under this head ye are made free (Mosiah 5:7-8). and we will ‘be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that [we] may have eternal life’” (Mosiah 18:9). 

Wendy Watson Nelson, wife of Elder Nelson, has said, "My dear sisters, as covenant keepers out covenants change everything in our lives--for the better. They change our identity and ultimate destination. They change the road we're traveling on through this life. As covenant keepers, what we want out of life; what we are willing to spend our time, energy, and money on; what we think is entertaining; what we think is appealing; ALL CHANGE. As covenant keepers, our desire to be someone the Lord can count on increases exponentially! No matter what He asks us to do. As covenant keepers, how we feel about the Savior changes forever." In other words, our covenants have the capacity to change who we are at our very core, in order to become more like Christ.

My favorite promise of all: covenant keeping will help you recall the One with whom you’re yoked, and your burden will be lighter. What an incredible blessing during this often difficult life. 

Sister Parkin continues, "Covenants help me focus on the big picture and not just the immediate…I humbly pray that our covenants might become a greater source of celebration and strength in our lives; that we may walk uprightly and steadfastly, that when we most need the Lord’s hand, it will be there waiting warmly."

In a similar address by D. Todd Christofferson, he has said regarding covenants, “Keeping covenants with God gives us the power to smile through hardships, to convert tribulation into triumph, to be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and to bring to pass much righteousness.” Continuing, he says, "Covenants produce the faith necessary to persevere and to do all things that are expedient in the Lord...as we walk in obedience to the principles and commandments of the gospel of jesus christ, we enjoy a continual flow of blessings promised by God in His covenant with us. Our covenant commitment to him permits our Heavenly Father to let his divine influence, 'the power of godliness.'"

Remember: there is always hope if we have slipped in keeping our covenants. "The Savior so wants us to fulfill our promises that He has provided an everlasting Atonement. If your heart is not singing the song of redeeming love, return to your covenants. Celebrate them" (Bonnie Parkin). 

Mosiah 4:11-12 states,
If ye do this ye shall always rejoice and be filled with the love of God...and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of Him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
I know of no other way to achieve this blessing than by striving to keep our covenants. They are the definition of truth, and abiding by them is the ultimate way to achieve strength, peace, and joy in this life. Our covenants, as we grow in understanding them, truly encompass all that the gospel is. As President Monson has said, “[Covenants] are a passport to peace in this life. They are a Liahona of light to guide you unerringly to your heavenly home."

I am so grateful for the opportunity I will soon have to dedicate my entire life to serving God and teaching His children. I am so grateful to teach them about how to find happiness and joy, how to peacefully weather the storms of life, and how to access the incredible power of the redeeming Atonement of Jesus Christ. He is the center of this gospel. I testify of His redeeming power, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen


** funny note, I was reading back on my journal and found that on May 3, 2015, I wrote, "I need to study covenants more diligently as I prepare to receive my endowment!" So crazy how 5 months later, I definitely was able to study them more diligently. ;) Timing, my friends, is often everything.

Comments

Popular Posts