Rim2Rim2Rim

Travis and I just before we headed out for the day.
About one week ago, I told my friend, Travis, that I would be leaving Provo very soon to return to California before I leave on an LDS Mission to Texas. He reminded me that we still needed to run the Grand Canyon, as we had talked about in the weeks prior. I had done zero research on this endeavor, and did very little training in the ultra-running category, but I was stoked out of my mind and highly determined that we do it. So, I called up my friend Alex, and he figured out a way to arrange his schedule. We decided we would all meet up at the North Rim on late Thursday night/early Friday morning; from there, we would begin our 43 mile journey down into the base of the Grand Canyon, up the south Rim, and back. This feat is called the "Rim2Rim2Rim" and is typically only done after much training. I'd just completed training for a half Ironman, and had been backpacking and hiking lots this summer, so I assumed I'd be ok. Alex and Travis are insanely fit, so I didn't worry about them, either. Despite the short planning, I was confident we would be a-ok. Too confident, I think...

After a few set-backs and wrong-roads, we arrived at the North Rim on Friday at 3 am. YIKES. Our desired departure time was 4 am, but we slept in until ~6am instead. Upon awakening, we found Alex's car, where he had left a note saying he had left around 5 am. So Travis and I packed our bags, filled up our bladders (the plastic ones, duh), and headed down into the canyon around 6:30 am from North Kaibab Trail. The views were spectacular! I was losing my mind over how beautiful the Canyon was during sunrise:

We stopped to talk to a few people on the way down, mostly to ask if they'd seen a long-haired, blazin' fast asian kid running down the trail. To my surprise, a lady had! Only an hour and half prior, she had seen him. She asked our plans, and I replied we were running rim-to-rim-to-rim. A look of amazement and horror flashed across her face, and a stream of concerned questions flew from her mouth. "Have you ever done that before?!?! Do you have the right supplies?!?!" So began the long series of concerned people that surely thought we were out-of-our-minds mad. . . .  I wondered why so many people looked so alarmed when they heard our plans, but would eventually discover for myself.

Our first miles were around 10-11 minutes per mile. We were definitely not pushing the pace, but downhill running in sand can prove difficult. I wondered on the way down if I would regret our eager pace later in the day....haha. Around mile 4, we ran--literally--into the arms of Alex Lew, and celebrated our reunion joyously! Shortly after, we continued the descent, snaking down the trail and into the heart of the canyon. We started at 8000 ft elevation, and descended over the course of 14 miles into Phantom Ranch, at 2000 ft elevation. The majority of the descent was ~6 miles, and then about 8 more miles of relatively flat trail along the stream.


On the way out!

....and on the way back!
I really enjoyed the first 14 miles to Phantom Ranch. Even the next 3 miles after the ranch were great, and so beautiful, the Colorado River especially.

Just crossed the river, on our way up to the South Rim. 
About to cross the bridge. If you can't tell, I'm kinda obsessed with it...
3.5 miles from the top, I bonked pretty bad. I think I just ran out of electrolytes. Stay on top of nutrition and hydration if you plan to do this hefty run.


The climb up to the South Rim via South Kaibab is pretty killer. On its own, I think it wouldn't be that bad, but after the crazy descent that is North Kaibab my quads and legs were already thrashed by the time we began the first ascent.  BLAH. All I can suggest is that you train better than I did if you really want to enjoy the beauty without being in severe pain from mile 17 until 43.

Regardless of the fatigue and pain, I still couldn't believe how beautiful the climb up, and back down, were. Gotta go see it for yourself. ;)

HALFWAY!!!
We made it to the South Rim. I wish I could remember what we were laughing so hard about.
The lady who took our photo was waiting for her INSANE husband, who did the round-trip in under 8 hours, fueled by only 2 water bottles, 3 cliff bars, and 10 gels. That's basically a world-record (the world record really is 6 hours and 59 minutes).

This is what we saw on the way down. MIND BLOWN.
I used to be afraid of heights, and still am to some extent, but I've really been working on it. It's getting MUCH better:)
We rested and refueled for a while after our first summit. On the way back down, I just ignored my screaming quads and tried to push the pace. It was more like running down stairs than anything, but the challenge made it all the more fun I think! People encouraged us on the way down, which helped lift my spirits a bit! Thank you, kind folks, for being supportive of us crazy nuts.

After stopping and swimming in the Colorado River for a while, we started up again. I prefer to not dwell on those last 14 miles because they were very, very difficult. I prayed non-stop, asking God to give me strength greater than my own. I am certain He did, because I could feel it. It was still very difficult, but I doubt I would have had the mental strength to continue without His help. It was a mental battle from our stop at the River to the Top. I had anticipated it taking us 4 hours MAX from this point, but due to severe fatigue and eventual total darkness, it took us much longer. My legs hurt so bad that I would run as far as I could manage, and then walk for a few steps. Over and over, I'd run as far as I could, then walk for a little while. We eventually got to the start of the last ascent, but we were in total darkness (save only the light from our headlamps). I had no idea how long we had left, and I was simply out of energy. My last few miles--uphill and in total darkness--took about 40 minutes each. I know I received the strength to continue on from my Heavenly Father though, because I was able to enjoy the last few miles just a little (not too much, don't get carried away....but just enough to get through it).

Throughout this journey, I kept telling myself, "Learn to be happy no matter the circumstance, and always find some joy in the journey." I've been working on having that mindset this summer, and this was definitely good practice. I tried to remind myself that soon, as a missionary, I wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty dejected and totally exhausted physically, but in my mind I found some comfort in these thoughts. Sometimes even the simplest things--like random animals in the dark--can bring happiness when we make up our minds to look for and create joy along the way.   Treking uphill in total darkness while slightly delirious after running 40 miles  isn't exactly my idea of a good time, but I suppose we must experience the really, really bad to fully appreciate the really, really good.

Anyways.....I'm glad the horrible parts are over, but I'd do it again (granted we take 2 or 3 days to explore;).

At a glance:
Total mileage= 48 miles
Total Elevation change= 22,000 feet
Moving time: 12 hours, 45 minutes
Elapsed time: ~16 hours
Trail: North Kaibab to South Kaibab and back

Gear Used:
Osprey 3 L bladder (I filled up 3 times along the trail)
Osprey Tempest 9 pack
Nike Tera Kiger 2 trail runners (I'd suggest something more substantial for this trail...my feet got pretty torn up, and that's saying something because my feet are usually tough as nails. I can count all the blisters I've gotten in my life on one hand, and still got a super gnarly one this time around)
Fits brand Wool light hiking socks (freaking expensive, but worth every penny)
My trusty Rudy Project hat ;)
Nike running shorts (six+ years old and still goin' strong)

Food Consumed:
1 bag of beefy jerky
1 6 oz bag of dried apricots
1 snickers bar
3 cliff bars (plus caffeine)
1 bag of sour patch kids (the giant sized ones are freaking amazing)
1 bagel with excessive amounts of peanut butter and honey
~ 10 liters of water (with tons of GU Brew electrolyte replacement tablets)

Fun Souvenirs: 
1 quarter-sized blister on the sole of my right foot (that sucker popped on our final ascent...yikes!)
Rock-rash on my leg from my fall coming down from the South rim
1 gouge in my left shin from a run-in with the rocks in place to prevent erosion
Chaffing in various locations, including my lower back and elsewhere....
A very sunburned body, especially on the lips, chest, & shoulders
Sausage-like toes and swollen calves
Destroyed quadriceps
Destroyed calves
Destroyed gluteal and hip muscles
All my toenails remain. Yes.

Comin' down.



Comments

  1. Excellent write-up Emily! And thanks for not letting this adventure get put off until later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts