Life's a Miracle


"Love is a great beautifier."
- Louisa May Alcott


I have long since known that I may never be the smartest, or the wittiest, or even the hardest working. I'll never be the fastest, or the prettiest, or the tallest or smallest. In fact, I'll always be pretty average. But that's okay, because I've learned something about myself that I love.

I may never get the best grades, or go to the most prestigious school, or achieve fame. It'll probably never happen, but there is something that I can do that I love.

What is it, you ask?

I can love.

I know I was blessed with the gift to really, truly love people. To forget their weaknesses, forgive them of their trespasses, and serve them with all my heart and soul. I know how to truly love, with all that I am. And that, to me, is the biggest blessing I could ever receive.

I remember walking home from an Anatomy review one day. I knew all of the other TAs were just bursting with knowledge, seemingly unending knowledge. And there I was. Sure, I knew basic anatomy like the back of my hand. But there was a whole world out there that I barely knew anything about. Physiology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, functional anatomy...the list goes on and on. I was feeling a little sorry for myself, and then it hit me. Sure, there are lots of smart people out there. Lots of them. But me, I loved my students more than the world. I wanted them to succeed above all things. I loved them like my best friends, simply because I had been able to teach and serve them. And that moment is when I decided that I didn't care that I would never be the smartest doctor or the most popular person, because I knew how to love another with my whole heart.

I am a firm believer that there is something absolutely amazing about each of us. Maybe you think it's boring or plain, but if you really think about it, the fact that we can do anything is a miracle.

Think about. Our simple ability to form friendships, to feel compassion, to wiggle our fingers and toes...to laugh and play and feel the warmth of the sun. To taste the sweet flavor of ice cream. To see the smile of a new born baby. It's all a miracle, a true miracle. 

I hope I never forget what a miracle life is. Every breath, every heart beat. It's truly a miracle.

What miraculous gift have you been given? I know there is one in every single person, you just have to find it.

Comments

Popular Posts